The main purposes of this plan are to:
- clarify our strategic maritime planning for the short, medium to long term;
- assist us, other planning bodies, transport network providers and other stakeholders in preparing and revising their own strategies;
- inform current and potential users, stakeholders and local communities as to how they can expect to see development take place over the coming years;
- promote the efficient management and operation of our maritime assets;
- support individual developments within the context of a wider strategic plan;
- appropriately maximise available land for economic uses;
- improve the public realm, particularly Ramsgate’s historic waterfront; and
- identify and promote other complementary economic and leisure uses.
It does this by outlining:
- how the commercial port and Royal Harbour expect to grow and develop over time;
- why this may be feasible in the context of wider patterns of supply and demand;
- where changes of land use may be required to support growth; and
- how we will manage any development to mitigate its impact on the environment and local amenity.